government benefits

Click Here for Details

Tax Topics Home > Topic 107 Wages and Salaries

Prev   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

Wages and Salaries

Wages, salaries, and tips received by an employee for performing services for an employer must be included in your gross income. Amounts withheld for taxes, including but not limited to income tax, social security and Medicare taxes are considered "received" and must be included in gross income in the year they are withheld. Generally, your employer's contribution to a qualified pension plan for you is not included in gross income at the time it is contributed. However, amounts withheld under certain salary reduction agreements with your employer may have to be included in gross income in the year they are withheld.

Your employer should provide a Form W-2 showing your total income and withholding. You must include all wages and withholding's from all Forms W-2 you receive, and if filing jointly all of your spouses Forms W-2. Attach a copy of each WĘC2 to the front of your tax return as indicated in the instructions. Please note that Form 1099-MISC generally reports self-employment income.

File an amended tax return, Form 1040X, if you receive a Form W-2 after your return is filed.

© FedAidWeb.com

Bookmark and Share

  » FedAidWeb

  » Benefits Category

  » State Benefits

  » Fed Agencies

  » Govt Grants

  » Tax Topics

  » Links

  » Add Your Site

  » Contact Us