government benefits

Click Here for Details

Tax Topics Home > Topic 103 Taxpayer Advocate Service - Help for Problem Situations

Prev   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

Taxpayer Advocate Service - Help for Problem Situations

The Taxpayer Advocate Service is an independent organization within the IRS whose employees assist taxpayers who are experiencing economic harm, who are seeking help in resolving tax problems that have not been resolved through normal channels, or who believe that an IRS system or procedure is not working as it should. For example, if you are experiencing financial problems and will be evicted if you don't pay the rent, the Taxpayer Advocate Service may be able to assist you in obtaining your refund expeditiously. The Taxpayer Advocate Service also may be able to assist you if you have experienced a delay of more than 30 days to resolve a tax-related problem or have not received a response or resolution to the problem by the date that was promised by the IRS. The service is free, confidential, tailored to meet your needs, and available for businesses as well as individuals.

While the Taxpayer Advocate Service cannot change the law or make a technical tax decision, it can clear up problems that resulted from previous contacts and ensure that your case is given a complete and impartial review.

You can contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service by calling its toll¨Cfree number 877-777-4778, or TTY/TTD 800-829-4059 to see if you are eligible for assistance. You can also call or write to your Local Taxpayer Advocate, whose address and phone number are listed in your local telephone directory and in Publication 1546 (PDF), Taxpayer Advocate Service ¨C Your Voice at the IRS. If you write, please be sure to include your social security number or employer identification number, your return address and a phone number where you can be reached during the day. Include with your letter, copies of any correspondence you have received from the IRS. In addition, please describe your problem, the tax years involved and any previous attempts to solve the problem (including any offices you contacted). You can also file Form 911, Request for Taxpayer Advocate Service Assistance (And Application for Taxpayer Assistance Order), or ask an IRS employee to complete it on your behalf.

© FedAidWeb.com

Bookmark and Share

  » FedAidWeb

  » Benefits Category

  » State Benefits

  » Fed Agencies

  » Govt Grants

  » Tax Topics

  » Links

  » Add Your Site

  » Contact Us