government benefits

Click Here for Details

Tax Topics Home > Topic 106 Ensuring Proper Credit of Payments

Prev   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

If you have a balance due on your tax return, you may enclose a check or money order made payable to the "United States Treasury" with your return. Never send cash! Please provide your correct name, address, social security number, daytime telephone number, tax year and form number (example-2006 F-1040) on the front of your payment. If you are making a payment on a joint return, provide the social security number that was listed first on the return.

Enclose your payment and Form 1040-V (PDF), Payment Voucher, with your Federal tax return. Do not staple or otherwise attach the payment or Form 1040-V to your return. Instead, just put them loose in the envelope. If you make a payment in person at an IRS office, keep the date stamped receipt as part of your records.

If you are electronically filing your tax return, you have the option of paying by electronic debit of your bank account using Electronic Funds Withdrawal. You will need to know your account number and your financial institution's routing number. You can check with your financial institution to make sure that an electronic withdrawal is allowed and to get the correct routing and account numbers.

If you are paying by credit card, call or visit the website of the following service Providers and follow the instructions:

  1. Official Payments Corporation at 888-872-9829, www.officialpayments.com
  2. Link2Gov Corporation at 888-729-1040, www.pay1040.com, or
  3. RBS WorldPay, Inc. at 888-972-9829, www.payUSAtax.com
Note: The service providers charge a convenience fee which may vary between the providers. You will be told what the fee is during the transaction and you will also have the option to either continue or cancel the transaction. Additionally, you can find what the convenience fee will be by calling the provider's automated customer service number or by visiting the provider's website. You will be given a confirmation number for your payment at the end of the transaction.

If you are making an estimated tax payment with check or money order meant for payment of the current year's Federal income tax, do not mail your estimated tax payment with your tax return. you will need to mail your estimated tax payments separately, to the address shown in the Form 1040-ES (PDF), Estimated Tax for Individuals, under the section called "Where to File Your Estimated Tax Payment Voucher if Paying by Check or Money Order."

© FedAidWeb.com

Bookmark and Share

  » FedAidWeb

  » Benefits Category

  » State Benefits

  » Fed Agencies

  » Govt Grants

  » Tax Topics

  » Links

  » Add Your Site

  » Contact Us