Free Grants For Business, Personal Needs or School.

Parents?? Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC)

Veterans-Active Duty > Parents?? Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC)


Program Description:

Parents?? Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) is a benefit for eligible survivors. It provides a basic monthly payment for an eligible surviving spouse. The monthly payment is increased for each dependent child, and also if the surviving spouse is housebound or in need of aid and attendance. Veterans Affairs (VA) also adds a transitional benefit to the surviving spouse??s monthly DIC if there are children under age 18. The amount is based on a family unit, not individual children. Rates for this program can be found at


General Program Requirements:

To qualify, you must be the parent of a veteran who died from one of the following causes:

  • A disease or injury incurred in or aggravated by active duty or active duty for training
  • An injury incurred or aggravated in the line of duty while on inactive duty for training
  • A service-connected disability
This benefit is based on need. The amount paid depends on your income.

The term ?°parent?± includes:

  • A biological parent
  • An adoptive parent
  • A foster parent
A foster parent is a person who stood as a parent to the veteran. The foster parent relationship must have been in place for at least one year before the veteran last entered active duty.

There is no length-of-service requirement.

National Guard and Reserve members who were activated for Federal military service and later separated are considered to be veterans.

Commissioned Officers of the Public Health Service and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration are considered to be active duty members and veterans, once discharged.

For more specific information, read the Parents?? Dependency and Indemnity Compensation factsheet.





Loan Terms:

Not Applicable


Application Process:

To complete an application, use VA Form 21-535, "Application for Dependency and Indemnity by Parent(s)."


Program Contact Information:

For more information, contact VA to ask a question on-line or search our Frequently Asked Questions at:

You may also call us at:

Hearing impaired users may call:


Managing Agency:

Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA)

© FedAidWeb.com

  » FedAidWeb

  » Benefits Category

  » State Benefits

  » Fed Agencies

  » Govt Grants

  » Tax Topics

  » Links

  » Add Your Site