> Maryland Children's Health Program (SCHIP)
The Maryland Children's Health Program (MCHP) gives full health benefits for children up to age 19, and pregnant women of any age who meet the income guidelines. MCHP enrollees obtain care from a variety of Managed Care Organizations (MCOs) through the Maryland HealthChoice Program.
General Program Requirements:
In order to qualify for this benefit program, you must be a resident of Maryland, not covered by health insurance (including Medicaid), a US national, citizen, legal alien, or permanent resident and be either:
- A child under 19 years old whose countable annual income before taxes is at or below 300 percent of the federal poverty level (FPL): $32,490 if one person lives in the household; $43,710 if two people live in the household; $54,930 if three people live in the household; $66,150 if four people live in the household; $77,370 if five people live in the household. For larger households add $11,220 for each additional household member. Depending on your income level, you may have to pay a premium for coverage; or
- A woman with child(ren) or a pregnant women of any age, whose countable income is at or below 250 percent the federal poverty level (pregnant women family size includes the unborn child): $36,425 for a two person household; $45,775 if three people live in the household; $55,125 if four people live in the household; $64,475 if five people live in the household. For larger households add $9,350 for each additional household member.
The application is brief and the process is simple. The application asks for:
- General Information such as your name, address, telephone number, etc.
- Any health insurance coverage
- Information about family members (such as names and birth dates)
- Social Security numbers of applicants
- Sources and amounts of family income
Download a copy of the MCHP application from this site: http://www.dhmh.state.md.us/mma/mchp/pdf/MCHP_Application_Form_08.pdf
Local Health Departments will mail applications on request. Find your local Health Department here: http://www.dhmh.state.md.us/mma/mchp/pdf/EnglishLHDDirectory2007.pdf
Also, applications are available at local Health Departments, local Departments of Social Services, WIC Centers, and local hospitals and schools.
Applications can be completed at home and mailed in or dropped off at any local health department. Case managers are available to assist you there. Find your local Health Department here:
Those found eligible for MCHP will receive an enrollment packet in the mail to select a managed care organization for health care.
Program Contact Information:
To obtain more information, please visit our website:
You may also contact MCHP by calling the DHMH MCHP Hotline at: